Kitchen Terms

Baking: When baking you want to surround your food at a set consistent temperature so it cooks or bakes it evenly from all sides.

Boil: Water tends to boil around 212 degrees F. to reach this you usually need to turn the stove up to the maximum temperature so your water will boil. Boiling is wonderful for vegetables, starches and tough chunks of meat.

Broiling: Broiling works like a grill, your oven reaches a temperature of 550 degrees F. and you usually don’t cover your food so it can get that direct heat.

Chopped: When chopping ingredients you want them about 1/2 to 3/4 inch in width.

Dash: 1/8 teaspoon

Diced: Dicing ingredients you want them about 1/4 to 1/8 inch in width.

Dry Measuring Cup: A dry measuring cup is usually used for dry ingredients, if you happen to use it for liquid ingredients you will get about the same amount.

Grated: Grating will give you tiny pieces of food depending on which side of the grater you use will depend how fine it will come out. This style of cut is perfect for cheese sauces, and vegetables that need to be put into sauces.

Minced: Mincing is when you cut something like garlic as small as you can with with a sharp knife.

Pan Fry: Pan frying is when you cook something like chicken in a pan on medium heat until its done.

Pinch: 1/16 teaspoon

Sauté: Sautéing is when you have a cook your food on medium-high heat in a pan with oil. You’ll want to stir your food around every couple of minutes or so, so it wont burn.

Shredded: You will use the larger whole side of a grater to get nice long smooth pieces. This is good for putting cheese on on top of a burrito or taco.

Sliced: When slicing a vegetable, fruit, etc. you take a sharp knife and cut vertically down them making nice thin or thick slices.

Simmer: To get a simmering pot of water you want to bring your water to a nice boil and reduce the heat. Once the bubbles disappear but there is still steam coming out of the pot that when its at a simmer.

Smidgen: 1/32 teaspoon

 Wet Measuring Cup: A wet measuring cup is more suitable for wet ingredients but you can use it for dry ingredients like flour and sugar also. If you do use them for dry ingredients be careful to not tap it down or over fill it for recipes that are very specific on how much ingredients they are asking for.


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s